Friday, September 6, 2013

Art Dolls - Imitation is NOT flattering

Pin It
 You know the old saying " Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"....... well, if that is true, why do I feel somewhat slighted........
I was recently asked if I had moved to Cornwallis, as my art dolls were listed on Kijiji and it said Cornwallis , NS  I was very puzzled, as I have NOT MOVED, and I DO NOT list my artdolls on Kijiji............ so I went on Kijiji to check it out, and sure enough someone is making art dolls, that look very very very similar to mine....... in fact so similar, when I emailed my mother a picture, she even thought they were mine. 
Yes, lots of people make art dolls, and I myself look at others work and get inspired......but to copy an exact style.....so exactly..........that it is easily confused as being my own work, is not flattering........ (I am referring to the eyes, specifically.....but also the hands and body style)
I have been sewing this style doll, and specific eye style since 2008. My three dimensional eyes were published in ART DOLL QUARTERLY in the Autumn 2008 issue. Photos of my dolls are all over the internet from Pinterest, to Google Images...... so I assumed these images would provide inspiration to other doll makers.....and that is fantastic. I want my dolls to inspire others, and be enjoyed etc......No, I don't have a license/patent on 3d cloth eyes.... lots of artdoll artists infact do three dimensional cloth eyes, in a variety of different, and similar ways.....all lovely and inspiring......but all slightly or significantly different with their own "take" or style to them, different techniques and variations....
BUT........to precisely copy my style, is somewhat disgusting......and locally no less! In my own backyard practically....I do not know this person, have never heard of her, but apparently she likes my dolls...lol
No, Imitation is not flattering........
and thats my rant for today.......

I did finish a new dollie this morning......
The Black Widow.....
She will be listed in my ETSY Shoppe shortly.......





No comments:

Post a Comment